Your Recovery is On You, But I Have Your Back
A letter to someone I love,
I’m scared for you. I don’t want you to die. I can’t tame this illness for you. I feel powerless. And so incredibly scared. I want to call your therapist and doctors and say, hey you better be on the top of your game cause this guy is something special and I love him.
When I take a breath, I know you’ve got this. I know that in order for me to be healthy, I have continually turn over my lack of control in this situation. Your recovery, is your story. I know this.
I can manifest all kinds of things—love, abundance, joy, but your recovery and this illness is yours. I want you to know you’re not by yourself. I’m here—please know this—it’s yours, but I’m right here. I’m at your side if you need me. So, I manifest presence.
Also, I want you to know I see your strength. You have survived all that was before now. You are strong.
You’re doing a kick ass job of handling this illness.
You’re not broken. I know who you are. When you forget, and you think you are this beast of a disease—call me. I know you. You are kind, funny, very lovable, thoughtful, competent.
Here’s what I’m going to do—
- I am going to keep moving forward. Keep living in the world of possibility. I’m going to keep creating kindness and love in this world. I’m still going to laugh and find joy.
- I am going to call you and meet you where you are. If you don’t feel like laughing, know there's no pressure to be silly. If you’re tired, we’ll keep it short.
- I’m still going to tell you what I need out of our relationship. We are us—we have a relationship. We are family.
- I’m going to ask you what you want from me and when you say nothing, I’m not going to give up. I’ll ask again another day.
- I’m going to give you space, sometimes.
- I’m not going to tip toe. Sometimes I’ll put my foot in my mouth, and I’ll say something that’s not helpful. But I can’t tip toe—there’s enough fear here already.
- I’ll sit and be quiet with you. I won’t ask a bunch of questions.
- I’m not ever, not ever, going to give up. I will hold hope, always.
You’ve got this. I love you.
If you'd like to have Lisa by your side through your recovery, book a session.
Our Catalyst Coaching Intensive can help you learn how to hold space for those in your life who need the kind of support Lisa advocates in this message.